Lomé | Lome
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Lomé | Lome
- Grade: Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Closing Date:15th October 2022
Under the responsibility of the Director of UNREC and the supervision of the Political Affairs Officer, the IT Associate will support the Centre in the implementation of the following activities:
He/she manages information technology tools and assist in gathering and disseminating information materials concerning political and security developments in Africa. He/she manages the local area and wide information area networks.
He/she manages the library of the Centre including identifying sources of acquisition of books and documents, updating the library on-line service. He/she maintains contacts with relevant research institutions, major libraries, and documentation centers around the world. He/she researches a broad scope of information sources and complies and presents information for UNREC project formulation purpose.
Duties and Responsibilities
He/she manages information technology tools and assist in gathering and disseminating information materials concerning political and security developments in Africa.
1. IT FOCAL POINT
- Provide support for computer information systems databases and applications at UNREC, and troubleshoot IT related problems, providing guidance and training for other staff at UNREC.
2. MANAGES UNREC LIBRARY
- Maintain the Centre’s reference collection, including acquisitions, subscriptions, publications, books, electronic sources, training. Establish a classification method for and labelling books, reviews.
3. PROVIDES LOGISTICAL SUPPORT FOR CONFERENCES AND OTHER EVENTS
- Assist in the elaboration of conference and workshop background papers including conference agendas, lists of speakers, briefs, press releases etc.
- Issuing a periodic information bulletin (leaflet) on new documents, other resources, and events of the library.
5. INFORMATION FOCAL POINT FOR UNREC
- Assist in monitoring, researching, compiling, and disseminating information on trends and developments in peace, security, and disarmament in Africa.
Expected Demonstration of Competencies
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Administration and operations
General management: Provide support for computer information systems databases and applications at UNREC, and troubleshoot IT related problems, providing guidance and training for other staff at UNREC.
Monitoring: Assist in monitoring, researching, compiling and disseminating information on trends and developments in peace, security and disarmament in Africa.
Events managements: Assist in the elaboration of conference and workshop background papers including conference agendas, lists of speakers, briefs, press releases etc. Serving as focal point for the Monthly Youth Disarmament Forum.
Records management: Maintain the Centre’s reference collection, including acquisitions, subscriptions, publications, books, electronic sources, training. Establish a classification method for and labeling books, reviews, periodicals, and newspapers accordingly
Inventory management: Manage an electronic database of relevant research institutions and other partners for information exchange and joint-ventures purposes with UNREC
Asset management: Develop, update and maintain UNREC website (in French and English) and databases; prepare new material for inclusion in appropriate web pages and databases.
- Professionalism (knowledge of administrative management principles)
- Planning and organization (proven ability to plan and organize)
- Communication (have excellent communication skills, both written and oral)
- Teamwork (excellent interpersonal qualities)
- Knowledge of new technologies (good command of usual office tools)
University degree at bachelor’s or equivalent High School diploma. Otherwise BTS/DUT (BAC+2) with appropriate academic qualifications and proven experience in the field of relevant information technology and related applications. Drafting skills desirable.
- Several years of experience in database design and management using MySQL, MS SQL, and Oracle, a sound understanding of internet security, be familiar with Windows 2003 server, Linux platforms, and logistical related matters. He/she must have extensive knowledge of Web standards (HTML/XHTML, CSS, and XML), cross-browse compatibility issues, and a sound knowledge of internationalization. At least 3 years of experience in database design and management. Experience in library management and research, particularly in the field of peace, security, and disarmament is an asset. Further experience in Journalism and media relations is an asset.
- Have a good knowledge of administrative and management principles; ability to work effectively with partners and other associated organizations; ability to work in situations of high pressure.
- Excellent command of oral and written English or French, with strong working knowledge of the other.
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to present information concisely and accurately, as well as provide technical advice to project teams.
- A good command of the usual office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
We do our best to provide you the most accurate info, but closing dates may be wrong on our site. Please check on the recruiting organization's page for the exact info. Candidates are responsible for complying with deadlines and are encouraged to submit applications well ahead.
Before applying, please make sure that you have read the requirements for the position and that you qualify.
Applications from non-qualifying applicants will most likely be discarded by the recruiting manager.